Reducing the environmental impact of marine transportation
- Norsepower commits to reduce marine transportation's fuel consumption and emissions by delivering rotor sails. Indicator: number of rotor sails delivered / year. Schedule: In 2018 three rotor sails will be delivered. The objective is to deliver 150 rotor sails by 2025. Every rotor sail delivered reduces the vessel's fuel consumption ~ 300 tons/year and carbon dioxide emissions ~ 1000 tons/year.
- Preventing the eutrophication of seas: We prevent the eutrophication of seas by designing and delivering wastewater treatment systems for our customers' needs. Our objective is to deliver more facilities that also include nutrient removal, which today is required only in vessels operating in certain sea areas. Indicator: annually the amount of water that is processed by wastewater treatment systems that include nutrient removal.
- Schedule and objectives: Current situation: The facilities delivered in 2017 processed 900 000 m3 of water. Objective: The facilities delivered in 2025 will process 5 000 000 m3 of water. Indicator: 900 000 --> 5 000 000 m3 (m3 cubic meters).
- Thanks to Langh Tech's scrubbers, less polluted marine environment is possible. In the company's marketing, Langh Tech promotes the positive environmental impact of closed loop scrubbers. The odjective is that more shipping companies would choose a closed loop scrubber, or at least a hybrid, which also has the ability to use closed loop. The hybrid scrubbers delivered by Langh Tech can be run in closed loop continuously without time limits. Langh Tech's scrubber reduces sulphur emissions even below the reference value of a ship operating with MGO. The objective is to deliver scrubbers to more than 500 vessels by 2025. Indicator: the number of scrubbers delivered /year
- We minimize marine transportation's energy consumption and emissions by electrifying ships and promoting the use of renewable energy sources. Objective: by 2025 we have created and accomplished competitive technology for a zero emission ship. Indicators: 1. The amount and quality of in-house innovations. 2. The amount and quality of cooperation between universities and other research institutes. 3. Number of orders
Arctech Helsinki Shipyard:
- Arctech commits to develop and maintain the ability to provide its customers products that comply with the current global environmental regulations, and exceed them. The company focuses its product development to solutions and technologies that have better lifecycle effects and are environmentally sustainable. Indicator: in 2018 10 % of the total development work --> in 2020, 50% of the total development work
- Steerprop Oy has an impact on the future of marine transportation by designing, constructing and delivering ships’ propulsion systems which are ecologically and economically sustainable. While designing the product, Steerprop takes into account the systems’ energy consumption, emissions and underwater noise.
- Steerprop Oy commits to reduce energy consumption by delivering propulsion systems in three years to gain a total of 15000 MWh savings in energy consumption. Indicator 0 --> 100 (%)
- Kesko Corporation, parent company of Onninen Oy, is committed to the Science Based Targets approved by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) to reduce the emissions of its facilities, transportation and supply chain.
- Indicator: We are committed to reducing the emissions from our supply chain (Scope 3) by having 90% of Kesko’s largest suppliers set their own emission goals by 2025. We are committed to reducing direct and indirect emissions (Scope 1 and 2) by 18% from the level of 2015 by 2025. Read more here.
Continuous improvement as fair employers
- Our modernized procedures and increasing volymes require more employees and novel know-how. We will recruite 500 new employees by 2023. Indicator: New employees / year
- We want to ensure that tacit knowledge and our personnel's unique know-how pass on to new employees. Annually, we educate 20 new mentors to transfer the know-how. Indicator: Number of educated / year
- Improving working environment: Creating a safer working environment. Indicators: Number of safety remarks 50 --> 70, absences caused by accidents 4 --> 0
Turku Repair Yard:
- 0 accidents in ship recycling. Incator: Number of accidents in ship recycling
- Developing and ensuring personnel's wellbeing ensures the good performance of Elomatic. The company commits to developing wellbeing at work by developing an index for wellbeing at work. Indicator: Questionnary for personnel: the self-evaluation of one's working ability
- Developing the know-how and ensuring the diversity. Objective is to recruit new professionals via thesis works for Elomatic. Indicator: annual number of theses commissioned
- ALMACO Group commits to promote employees’ fair treatment, occupational safety and work welfare. We acknowledge our responsibility in our contractors' safety by following project safety indicators also concerning our contractors and reacting on non-conformities.
- The continuous improvement of work safety. Indicator: Number of absences caused by accidents
- Improving work satisfaction, education, skills, careers and equality at work. Indicator: The turnover rate % of how long employees stay in the company
Arctech Helsinki Shipyard:
- Arctech commits to act equally and responsibly in developing its personnel and ensuring the availability of experts. The company ensures equality in recruitment, thesis work, education and career progress. Indicator: education/person in 2018 --> education/person in 2020 (held at the shipyard).
- In addition, Arctech commits to develop the company’s shipyard in Helsinki together with stakeholders and the city authorities, while taking into account major safety and environmental matters. Indicator: Number of meetings with stakeholders in 2018 --> More meetings in the future
Monitoring the sustainability of the delivery chain
- We want to improve the sustainability of our delivery chain with suppliers' QHSE audits. The audits analyze suppliers' eco-friendliness and work safety. In addition, the company is planning to make an effort in choosing eco-friendly materials by creating a list of enviromentally harmful materials. Indicators: Non-eco-friendly materials' weight percentage of cabin weight (less than 5% of cabin weight), number of QHSE audits 3 -> 8
- ALMACO Group cooperates only with responsible partners. All critical suppliers and vendors are audited based on the requirements of our quality and HSE management system.
Arctech Helsinki Shipyard:
- Arctech commits to monitor its delivery chain’s sustainability in health, safety and environmental matters. Indicator:
- 2018: safety observation target 1 / person
- 2019: safety observation target 2 / person
- 2020: safety observation target 4 / person
- Onninen Oy is committed to demonstrating the transparency of its supply chain and also to ensuring the sustainability of its suppliers. Sustainable procurement is guided by Kesko’s purchasing principles and the Principles and Practice of Socially Responsible Trading. Kesko also requires that its personnel, partners and suppliers comply with the K Code of Conduct.
Enhancing circular economy and lifecycle efficiency
- By reducing energy consumption we reduce significantly our carbon footprint. We reduce our energy consumption with 4 % by 2021 from the level in 2017. Indicator: kWh / work hour
- The increasing amount of litter in oceans is a global issue; we begin with our surroundings and reduce the waste in co-operation with our partners. We commit to developing actions to prevent litter in seas. Indicator: Actions / year
- Reducing waste from packaging: The objective is to reduce the usage of plastic in which the cabin is packed for the delivery from the factory to the shipyard. Indicators: the amount (tons) of plastic used / year, number of cabins packed in plastic 100 % --> 20 %
- Increasing the recycling rate of dry waste from cruise ships: We increase the recycling rate of cruise ships' dry waste by developing Evac's handling systems for dry waste. Indicator: Recycling rate (%). Schedule and objectives: current situation: In 2017 the recycling rate was 25 %. 1. Objective: In 2025 the recycling rate is 50 %. 2. Objective: In 2050, the recycling rate is 70 %.
Turku Repair Yard:
- The company wants to participate in ResponSea initiative by developing sustainable ship recycling. The objective is to increase the amount of reused waste. Indicator: Reducing the amount (tons) of ship recycling waste going to disposal
- We develop continuously the design and engineering of accommodation and catering systems and improve direct and indirect energy and material efficiency of our products. Product development is performed together with our clients and vendors taking into account lifecycle impacts.
- Promeco commits to reducing energy consumption and the amount of mixed waste with 4 % by 2021 from the level in 2017 (kWh and kg/work hour)
- NIT commits to actions 1) to reduce the ecological footprint of the work place 2) to reduce carbon dioxide and greenhouse gas emissions. Indicator: valid WWF Green Office environmental system
Arctech Helsinki Shipyard:
- Arctech commits to continuously improve energy efficiency by reducing the use of heat energy and electricity. The company is part of the energy efficiency agreement for 2017-2025 by Technology Industries of Finland. Indicator: from 2017 --> 10% less in 2025
- Onninen Oy has set goals for reducing the use of packaging material and minimising the landfill load. We promote the recycling and reuse of plastic material. We set up operating models that prevent plastic from ending up in bodies of water and elsewhere in the natural environment.